EdStockPhoto

#3036: South Aisle

Photo 3036: South Aisle - Byzantine Church, Paestum

Photo Details

Photo ID
3036
Date
2008-04-09
Location
Byzantine Church, Paestum
Description
Paestum was Christianized by the 5th century and became the seat of a bishop. Its modestly-sized cathedral was built shortly thereafter, incorporating ancient stones and columns from the ruined city. Paestum was abandoned by the 9th century due to malaria and invaders, with a new settlement (Capaccio) established on higher ground a few kilometers away. The church was restored in the 18th and 20th centuries and is in active use today.
Camera
Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Resolution
3888 x 2592 px
File Size
7.37 MB
ISO
1600
Geotag
40.424013° N, 15.007399° E
Date Digitized
April 9, 2008
Date Uploaded
December 2, 2009
Credit
Holly Hayes