EdStockPhoto

#3430: West Side of South Transept

Photo 3430: West Side of South Transept - Cluny Abbey

Photo Details

Quick Facts

Photo ID
3430
Credit
Title
West Side of South Transept
Caption
The best view in the house of the surviving south transept of Cluny Abbey (1088-1130), from the small Cour de la Congrégation on its west side. The church was so monumental that each transept had two towers - the beautiful octagonal one is called the Clocher de l'Eau-Bénite ("Holy Water Belfry"). On the left is the outer wall of a side aisle; on the right is the 18th-century Chapel of the Congregation, which replaced the Romanesque "Abbot's Chapel."
Geotag
46.434666° N, 4.659410° E
Uploaded
December 30, 2009
Camera
Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
ISO
100