EdStockPhoto

#3448: Site of the Abbey Church

Photo 3448: Site of the Abbey Church - Cluny Abbey

Photo Details

Photo ID
3448
Date
2008-06-02
Location
Cluny Abbey
Description
Site of the former Cluny Abbey church (1088-1130), of which only the south transept survives, seen from the west. The semicircular area in the foreground is the beginning of the parvis (an outdoor staircase). This led down to the huge antechurch or porch (1130-90), in which the foundations of pillars can be seen. The sloped-roof stone buildings are the surviving bases of the great west towers, the Barabans. Against a landscape of Burgundian hills in the background is the south transept, topped with the beautiful Clocher de l'Eau-Bénite ("Holy Water Belfry").
Camera
Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Resolution
5000 x 3333 px
File Size
8.80 MB
ISO
100
Geotag
46.434666° N, 4.659410° E
Date Digitized
June 2, 2008
Date Uploaded
December 30, 2009
Credit
Holly Hayes