EdStockPhoto

#4801: The Smiling Angel (c.1280)

Photo 4801: The Smiling Angel (c.1280) - Regensburg Cathedral

Photo Details

Photo ID
4801
Date
2008-03-19
Location
Regensburg Cathedral
Description
The Smiling Angel on the southwest pillar in the crossing is part of an Annunciation group (the Virgin Mary is across the nave on the northwest pillar). It was sculpted in about 1280 by an artist known as the Master of St. Erminold. The angel looks very cheerful and is quite popular with visitors. The brochure published by the Diocese emphasizes its deeper meaning: "it is the visible expression of the Gospel - the good news of the love of God become man." The east pillars of the crossing have 14th-century statues of Sts. Peter and Paul.
Camera
Canon EOS 40D
Resolution
3888 x 2592 px
File Size
7.38 MB
ISO
1600
Geotag
49.019444° N, 12.098581° E
Date Digitized
March 19, 2008
Date Uploaded
February 9, 2010
Credit
David Joyal